While water filter changes are part of regular Sub-Zero refrigerator maintenance, how do you purchase a water filter cartridge? All Sub-Zero water filters must be purchased from the Sub-Zero Accessory Store or a Factory Certified Provider. Learn how to order a Sub-Zero refrigerator water filter and how to replace the most common models as we answer some filter FAQs.
A Guide to Sub-Zero Refrigerator Water Filter Purchase and Replacement
How long does a Sub-Zero water filter last? Like refrigerator coils, they last about one year before maintenance is required. Most refrigerators will alert you that a change is necessary by illuminating a water filter light or icon on the display panel. We recommend cleaning Sub-Zero refrigerator coils when you change the filter so that both of these important needs are addressed. Here’s how to order and replace a Sub-Zero refrigerator water filter to complete the process with ease.
FAQ #1. How Do I Order a Sub-Zero Refrigerator Water Filter?
A Sub-Zero refrigerator water filter can only be ordered online through the Sub-Zero Accessory Store or by calling your local Factory Certified Provider. The type of filter your refrigerator needs varies depending on the model. Each filter has a specific serial number on its label that corresponds to the right refrigerator model. You’ll need this number when ordering the filter to ensure that you purchase the right one.
If the filter’s serial number isn’t available, you can also use your refrigerator’s serial number to determine the right filter. While the serial tag location varies depending on the model, most are located inside the refrigerator door near the top hinge. If you can’t find either the water filter or refrigerator serial number, call the Sub-Zero Customer Care number at 1-800-444-7820.
FAQ #2. How do I Replace a Sub-Zero Refrigerator Twist-In Water Filter?
Sub-Zero refrigerators that use a twist-in filter include the Classic, Professional, 648PRO and Designer Tall and Column models. Depending on your model refrigerator, the filter will be behind the upper grille or behind a panel at the top of the interior.
Perform a twist-in Sub-Zero water filter replacement with these simple steps:
- Pull out the bottom edge of the grille and pull it up. For interior filters, open the refrigerator door, pull out the bottom edge of the filter door panel and rotate it upward.
- Remove the old cartridge by rotating one-quarter turn counterclockwise. Pull it out slowly, as some water may spill out.
- Remove the packaging from the new filter cartridge and carefully take off its plastic cap.
- Insert the new filter and secure it by rotating clockwise.
- Reset the water filter life monitor according to your model refrigerator.
- Dispense multiple glasses of water for 2 minutes to clean the water lines. For those refrigerators without a dispenser, dispose of the first two batches of ice.
FAQ #3: How do I Replace a Sub-Zero Refrigerator Push-In Water Filter?
Most classic, or Built-In, Sub-Zero refrigerators use a push-in filter that’s located behind the upper grille.
Here’s how to replace Sub-Zero refrigerator water filter push-in model:
- Pull out the bottom edge of the grille and push it upward.
- Remove the old Sub-Zero refrigerator water filter by pushing it in and pulling it out.
- Carefully remove the new filter’s packaging and plastic cap.
- Position the new filter so the locking tabs align with the manifold.
- Push in the filter until it clicks.
- Give the new filter a gentle pull to make sure it’s secure.
- Reset the filter life monitor by pushing and holding the filter reset button for 5 seconds.
- To clean the water lines on non-dispenser refrigerators, discard the first two batches of ice. For those models with a dispenser, dispense and dispose of multiple glasses of water for 2 minutes.
Is the water filter not working properly or is the filter housing damaged? Our experts can help. Call Blue Sky Appliance for any Sub-Zero refrigerator repair.